Often, in schools, cafeteria service is considered a mere cost item in the budget. And instead, collective catering could have an important educational value and be a driver for the development of sustainable agriculture.
In Europe, administrations operate under the Farm to Fork Farm to Fork Strategy (europa.eu) and Green Public Procurement, which directs them to purchase less impactful products and services. In Italy, these directives have been implemented through a standard that introduces Minimum Environmental Criteria (MC) in procurement, a step toward a canteen designed as a tool for territorial development that involves the school community in a process of radical change.
We talk about it involving the municipalities of Milan, Rome, Turin and Bari and some of the most interesting realities of the peninsula, such as Qualità & Servizi (in the Florentine plain). And we find out about activities on canteens curated by Slow Food Prague, which has promoted the project “Slow Food Principles in School Canteens in the Czech Republic.”
- councillor for Environment, Agriculture and Waste Cycle, City of Rome.
- councillor Education, Youth, Peripheries, Urban Regeneration, City of Turin.
- councillor for Education, Education, Youth and EU Funds, City of Bari (remote connection).
- Vitandrea Marzano, member of the Mayor’s Technical Staff for Program Implementation, City of Bari (remote connection)
- Renata Lukášová, Slow Food Prague – The Slow Food Principles in School Canteens Project in the Czech Republic. Fosca Nomis, Head of Advocacy & Policy, Save the Children Italy.
- Filippo Fossati, Quality & Services company representative.
- Paola Segurini, LAV Onlus representative.
Barbara Nappini, Slow Food Italia president.
Terra Madre Salone del Gusto is in Parco Dora, Turin, from September 22-26, 2022, with over 600 exhibitors and a series of workshops, conferences and tastings that show how we can regenerate our planet through food. #TerraMadre2022 is a Slow Food event.
Event languages: IT, EN
Ingressi Verolengo e Mortara - Torino (italy )
GPS: 45.092435, 7.666317