Get you press accreditation here
The 14th edition of Terra Madre Salone del Gusto will take place in Turin from September 22-26, 2022. Terra Madre, the largest gathering of the Slow Food network, aims at designing a different future for food, a future that takes shape through the daily choices of individuals, in the collective efforts of communities, and in the policies of both public and private institutions. Over 3000 delegates from 130 countries and more than 600 exhibitors will participate to the event.
Slow Food’s delegation from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean consists of about 50 people. Mexico will be the most represented country from the region, with almost 30 delegates coming to Turin this year, many of them representing indigenous communities. Together with Brazil, the Slow Food Mexico network is one of the most active in Latin America. A diverse group of family farmers, producers, chefs, academics, activists from the Slow Food Youth Network (SFYN) and students are eagerly awaiting the event.
On Thursday 22 at 12 pm, within the Gino Strada Arena, the social entrepreneur and food activist Vicki Assevero from Trinidad and Tobago will participate to the forum Silent Spring, where she will talk about the effects of pesticides on bees and biodiversity. On the same day there will be the possibility of meeting Leidy Casimiro Rodriguez, PhD in agroecology, advisor to the Cuban government for the future agroecology law and one of the coordinators of the Slow Food Coffee Coalition in Cuba during two events: the first is the workshop Latin America and Caribbean: Advocacy Capacity Building Workshop at 11.30 am while the second one is the conference Slow Food Coffee Coalition. The Commitment to Good, Clean and Fair Coffee at 3 pm within the Berta Cáceres Arena about the development of the Lavazza ¡Tierra! Project on the eastern Cuban regions.
Cuba will also be the protagonist of The Tierra of Cuba Taste Workshop on Thursday 22 at 6 pm. During the workshop the participants will discover how the ¡Tierra! project is working in Cuba through a narrative and sensory journey and, above all, they will find out in preview the new Lavazza blend, la Reserva de ¡Tierra! Cuba, the first product certified by the Slow Food Coffee Coalition.
On Saturday 24 at 4 pm during the Taste Workshop Chocolate And Cocktails From Guatemala: Unusual Combinations, Elton Zeqirai from Guatemala, founder of LeGar Unplugged Mixology, will pair cocktails and chocolate to enhance their taste.
On Saturday 24 at 10,30 Geraldine Ezquerra Quintana researcher of Environmental and Food Sociology at the University of Havana, Cuba, will participate to the event From Havana, Food Education as an Alternative to the Mcdonaldization of Society within the Gino Strada Arena.
On Saturday 24 at 6,30 pm within the RegenerActions area the event Down Mexico Way will present the Mexican cuisine: from tostadas to tamales, participants, guided by chefs David Alfredo Castell-Blanch Benítez, Gladys Guadalupe Espinoza Gonzalez, Lorena Isabel Hernandez and Claudia Albertina Ruíz Sántiz will teach how to prepare some of the most typical Mexican dishes. This event is supported by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
On Monday 26 at 12.30 there will be the possibility of meeting Yudisley Cruz Valdés from the Cuban Amigos del Casale para su Protección y Promoción en Cuba Slow Food Community during the RegenerActions tasting activity Caribbean Bread. Together with other local chefs, she will prepare the casabi, a typical cassava tortilla, symbol of the Caribbean gastronomic tradition.
Meet the delegates
Beyond the official program, many delegates from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean will be present at Terra Madre Salone del Gusto.
- From Mexico we will welcome a numerous delegation from young indigenous people who are trying to change their life and those of their communities through food, organizing education workshops and seminars both in presence and online. These activities are supported by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation project.
- Dali Nolasco Cruz, a Nahua indigenous woman from Tlaola, Puebla, partner and founder of the Network of Indigenous Women’s Organizations of Tlaola, Mopampa, Timo’Patla and Yoltika. She is the founder of the Slow Food Tlaola Serrano Chili Pepper and Slow Food Board Member.
- Lorena Isabel Hernández, producer of the Chiapas Milpa System Presidium, always asserts how “tostadas saved her life”, as thanks to the Slow Food projects she managed to find her way in life, changing the destiny others expected her to follow.
- Yohan Sebastián Velázquez Méndez from Mitontic, producer of the Chiapas Milpa System Presidium.
- Ismael Bello Cervantes, a Mexican farmer who fought against land grabbing and the destruction of forests.
- Geovanni Erik Najera Guzman, food activist and educator involved in several artistic and cultural with young people in San Cristobal de Las Casas at Chiapas, Mexico.
- Stephany Escamilla Femat and Josias Oltehua Tezoco, Mexican representatives of the Slow Food Coffee Coalition.
- At the Slow Food Coffee Coalition Caffetteria there will be the possibility of tasting coffees from the Mexican Bosque niebla y café Xalapa community and the Honduran Las Capucas Sustainable Coffee Village
- Raúl Mondragón Segura, founder of the Colectivo Ahuejote project, which promotes agroecology and regeneration practices in Mexico City using old Aztec techniques.
- A role model for indigenous women everywhere, Claudia Albertina Ruíz Sántiz, a woman from the Tzotzil indigenous community in the southern Mexican state of Chiapas, constantly fights against discrimination and has broken boundaries and paved the way for others to do the same, despite her young age. She has been selected among the 50Best chefs by 50Next.
Here you find the full program of the event.
Terra Madre Salone del Gusto is organized by Slow Food, Piedmont Region and City of Turin. The event has been made possible by the support of companies who believe in the values and objectives of the event, including Main Partners: Iren, Lavazza, Parmigiano Reggiano, Pastificio di Martino, QBA – Quality Beer Academy, Reale Mutua and UniCredit; Fondazione Compagnia di San Paolo, Fondazione CRT, Consulta delle Fondazioni di origine bancaria del Piemonte e della Liguria.